Thursday, June 2, 2011

My Cleveland Experience

Back in December, after getting the internship with Mid-South Conference, I came to the unfortunate conclusion I couldn’t run the Derby Festival Marathon in Louisville, as it fell on the same weekend as the MSC track and field tournament. I had already started P90X, was getting into great shape, and knew this could be my year to run an amazing marathon time. After doing research on flat and fast races taking place in early May, Cleveland seemed to be the only one anywhere near Kentucky.

Now, anyone who knows me knows my disaffection for the city of Cleveland. I’ve never been there and really enjoyed my experience. Sorry If I offend by saying this, but it really is the armpit of America. But being my only chance to potentially qualify for Boston, I signed up and began the 16-week training process.

Along the way, my training kicked into high gear. P90X provided a solid fitness base, and the Insanity workouts (which really are insane) supplemented my running well. I PR’d in all three of the Louisville Triple Crown races, both thanks to my training and my increased focus on a healthy diet. I stayed injury free, and went into this weekend assured I could run the necessary 3 hour, 10 minute marathon required to qualify for Boston.

I left on Friday with my parents, making the drive up there a day early to not have to be confined to the car all day Saturday (the day before the race). The marathon expo took us to a shady part of the East Cleveland (pretty much the whole thing), but was a great chance to stock up on free samples and a new pair of cheap Brooks running shoes.

On race day, I woke up confident but worried about the weather. It was foggy, about 54 degrees, and showed a lot of potential for rain. I toed the line in my tiny running shorts and singlet, ready to give it my best shot. My aim was to run a 3:05, which would make it easier to get to Boston through priority registration. I started off fast, clipping off the first 10K in 42:58 and half marathon in 1:30:42. That was almost a half marathon PR, and I felt great I was not only running strong, but had found another guy to run with who wanted to run a 3:05. It allowed me to keep the pace conversational, yet competitive.

We hit a nice downhill at about 17 miles that lasted the next 3 miles, and I was able to keep the 3 hour pacer in sight. My 30K time had me on pace to finish in under 3:02. But at about 20 miles, I started to feel it. I kept it strong for 2 miles, but began to really feel it at mile 22. The crowds of support thinned, as did the number of runners around me to provide a little pacing. I was running solo, and paying for it.

With about 2 miles left, I knew I could do it. If I didn’t walk, I was going to finish strong and qualify for Boston. As I ran the home stretch (a downhill, fortunately), I looked at my watch to see sub-3:05. I crossed the finish line in 3:04:39, crushing my PR and earning me a BQ (Boston Qualifier)!

After lying on the floor of the Cleveland Browns stadium for what seemed like hours (in reality, about 20 minutes), I made the trek back to the hotel (again, only half a mile that felt like another marathon) so happy with what I had accomplished. My 6-month journey had culminated in a successful Cleveland Experience. Boston, here I come.
Me at the beginning of the race, still smiling and bandana in place.
At about the halfway point, drafting off the guy in front of me and alternating who took the lead with these 2 guys. It kept us right up there with the 3 hour pace group until about mile 17.
Coming down the homestretch, trying to not look at miserable as I felt.
Pretty pumped to cross the finish line.

 In the hotel room after the race, complete with my medal and bib.

1 comment:

  1. You're awesome. Who took your pictures? Does Cleveland have any draw for you now that you've made this memory there?

    ReplyDelete