Thursday, October 22, 2009

Beach, take 2

I know that it has been a while since I last updated, but it's because life is busy. Between work and travel and siestas and nutella, it's hard to find time to sit down and write.
Let me tell you about what I did two weekends ago. It was a long weekend of 4 days, so we decided to get plane tickets and fly up to a city outside Barcelona. From there, we took a bus to Lloret de Mar, a touristy beach town on the Costa Brava part of the Mediterranean. The beach was less sand and more pebbles, but most else about the location was pretty great.
The group was supposed to be 6 in total- me, Evan, Kyle, Jess, Erica, and Laura. All of us were Fulbrighters and get along well, plus 6 is a good number to travel with. So our flight is at 8:20 am on Friday morning. I get up early and head to the metro to get to the airport, meeting 2 of the girls along the way. As we're getting off the metro at the airport, I find out that Kyle and Evan aren't coming. One of them accidentally booked their tickets for the next weekend, and of course cheap RyanAir tickets aren't refundable or change-able. So it was just me and the 3 girls. A little less testosterone than I was expected, but I was still pumped about going to the beach and got along great with the 3 girls.
What did we do in Lloret de Mar, you may ask? Well, a whole lot of nothing. We walked around a little, saw the one cathedral that was there, and spent the rest of the time at the beach. It was great, and just what I needed after the big city life of Madrid. We were able to sleep, picnic and eat on the beach, and just sit around. We saw some great sunsets, and I had some nice (albeit hilly) early morning runs.
Saturday was Laura's birthday, so we got creative and made our own form of "birthday cake" for her. We bought some muffins and nutella from the local Dia supermarket and made our own cupcakes. We found some candles from the dollar store and had 2 red ones and 3 blue ones, to symbolize 23 of course. She was still sick from a bad stomach bug that she got in Madrid, so we celebrated the night with doner kebab (these amazing gyro-type sandwiches) and sitting by the beach.
This relaxing in Lloret de Mar was just what I needed. It was so peaceful and so much fun. Another great adventure in Spain.

The group (Jess, Laura, Erica, and me) on the beach in Lloret de Mar.
Of course we had to get a jumping picture on the beach.
The cool cathedral in the town.
The castle at sunset.
Me at sunset.
Attempts at an artsy sunset picture.
Where I stopped on my morning run.

No comments:

Post a Comment